Sunday 18 March 2012

Finished product!!!!
The first physical requirement for my project involves having a box in which to display the scene from the Great Exhibition.  I have decided to take off the front of the box and present it open. After working with different cardboard designs and tape this past week, while being sick, I used some of the time to finish the final box for my show.
I had such fun building the box.  I picked up materials at Home Hardware.  Since these boxes were used in the 17th-19th centuries, I used a few building techniques, such as a glue and sawdust mixture pushed into the seems of the box, then sanding to create a smooth surface all round, which dates back to pre-Industrial Revolution time. In addition, instead of nailing the box together I used wooden dowels to give a smooth, uniform surface.  Also, I liked using the historic technique. 
Owing to my projects contemporary visual and sound techniques I also built the box using power tools such as a table saw to cut the wood.   I also mixed contemporary power sanding to smooth out the entire box with classic hand sanding for precise smooth edges.  I took pictures of it all and would like to share my experience!!  I had some help from my guy, (he ran most of the table saw); however, I designed what I wished to have and built most of it myself.  I have also the accordian and slides built and using a method of black and white printing with colouring by hand I have added a brillance to the show, :))
Here are my building pics, :))  Onward with tackling the technology, making it all come together 

Clean Maple board ready to set out dimensions.
Steady as I go!
Getting the hang of it, :))
The shape is coming together, :))
Sand things down to fit smoothly.
Using an old method with a new tool!!   Dowelling is the best way to go.
Putting the sides together. After dowelling.
Fill in the tiny gaps with a glue and sawdust.  Works great!!!

Hold it all together tightly over night.  A mix of modern and antique clamps, the clamp system though is very old!!!!
The Scene fits perfectly!!!
Attaching the hinges along the top.
Little stoppers for the top.  

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the final product :)

    ReplyDelete