Monday 2 April 2012

 A progress report. :))  I have the sound files for each component recorded or download.  I tried to get a sample of Queen Victoria's voice. However, there is only a very faint recording done on a wax cylinder So that let out that idea.  I am able to find a other her thoughts about the exhibition though, from the diary entries she made of her visit. I am using Arduino through Processing to control the 5 lights and 5 sound files.  For most of my friends who have no idea what an Arduino devise does here is a bit of info, :))

An Arduino can be used to develop interactive objects, taking inputs from a variety of switches or sensors, and controlling a variety of lights, motors, and other physical outputs. (Arduino, http://www.arduino.cc/. )   Check it out!!!!

This little gadget will then be operated through a program called Processing that essentially takes charge of the Arduino.  The program is an open sourced programming language and environment used for the creation of images, animations and interactions. (Processing,  http://processing.org/ ) Check this out as well!!!!
My project will use the interaction function with the Arduino to control the activation of the lights and sound files on a loop program.  Once a single button is pressed all five lights and sound will activate, one after the other all nicely interacting with each, :))  When I started this course I was terrified. There is a lot more technology then to what I have previously been exposed.
I have watched many tutorials and still I must have technological disability, :)).  I am trying my best though and hopefully this all comes together. 
Compared to others in the class my project is woefully simple.  However, I am thinking of a different way to introduce historical events to young students.  I picture this project for a classroom up to grade 4 or 5. 
In addition I am thinking that by using an historical method of presentation, the "peep-show" technique with computer programming the students can learn something of interest from the past as well as learning about the Arduino, Firmata and Processing methods for technological presentation.  I have a beyond this project plan of interchangeable scenes with a CD containing 4 different lights and sound scenarios. These of course accompany the changeable scenes.  It is my hope that the students, by changing around the light locations and setting up the CD will learn more about the technological requirements of this project.
The last weeks are here for class. Time to finish up things!!!!!   More photos to follow, :)))

I should add that although the technology has me stressed out a bit and feeling a little dense, I am enjoying the exposure to

No comments:

Post a Comment